- Small business 1-5 active users with general accounting needs
- Professional Services
- Average cost only inventory
- Simple, easy-to-use visual interface with interactive tutorials
- Third-party add-on products and services available via https://desktop.apps.com/home
- Industry-specific versions for Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Professional Service Firms, Contractors, Non-Profit entities, and Retailers
- Apple MAC-specific version
Brief Product Description and Pricing
QuickBooks is used by small businesses for most financial-related business processes, from entering sales receipts, tracking expenses, preparing and sending invoices, sales tax tracking and payment to preparation of basic financial statements and reports and inventory management. The program also includes MICR check printing and options for employee payroll and time tracking. For most tasks, QuickBooks does not require users to understand standard accounting procedures. Most transactions are recorded using on-line screens that closely resemble paper-based forms such as invoices or checks. QuickBooks may be purchased in one of several versions.
- Pro includes inventory, quotes, over 100 financial reports, up to five users, and starts at $183.95 for a single-user license.
- Premier includes everything in Pro plus it tracks costs for assembled products and inventory, creates sales orders, tracks back orders, and has more advanced reporting and industry-specific implementations for $319.95 for a single-user license.
- Enterprise Solutions has everything in Premier plus some. Visit the web site for a detailed feature list. It supports five to thirty users and starts at $480 per user.
- QuickBooks Online is a subscription service starting with QuickBooks Online Essentials at $12.95 per month per user and Online Plus from $39.95. See comparison http://oe.quickbooks.com/compare.cfm.
- QuickBooks for Apple MAC OS may have some Windows features missing; pricing starts at $83.95.
Windows 7 and higher or Apple-current MAC OS versions are available. QuickBooks is a client solution, but company databases may rest on Windows Servers for access. Versions of this product are available in many different markets. Intuit's Canadian & U.K. divisions offer versions of QuickBooks that support the unique needs of each region, such as Canada's GST or PST sales tax and the U.K's Value Added Tax (VAT). Under license from Intuit, Reckon Ltd (Australian Securities Exchange [ASX]: RKN) publishes versions for the Australian, New Zealand, and Singapore markets. This license arrangement is coming to a close.
Integration with Accounting and Ease of Setup
For most tasks, QuickBooks does not require users to understand standard accounting procedures. Most transactions are recorded using on-line screens that closely resemble paper-based forms such as invoices or checks. The product is very easy to install and can be implemented without technical support or a professional accountant in many cases.
Company History and Contact Information
The company was founded in 1983 by Scott Cook and Tom Proulx; click to read the history of Intuit.
QuickBooks is available for purchase on-line or through a number of retail outlets such as Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, and others. It may also be purchased via the Internet. On-line versions may be purchased directly from Intuit at http://quickbooksonline.intuit.com/. Reliable high-speed Internet access is required and is a separate cost to the user.
QuickBooks Sales & Service Representatives are available to answer non-technical questions about a current QuickBooks product or service order, or if you need more information before you buy. Call toll-free (888) 246-8848 weekdays from 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. Pacific Time, or you can chat online with a Sales & Service advisor weekdays from 7 A.M. to 4 P.M. P.T.